Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe – Try this traditional chicken and sausage gumbo dish. Gumbo represents the cultural blending that makes the Bayou State so unique.
With it’s African origins, gumbo is the perfect dish to represent the cultural melting pot that is Louisiana. When the first cool temperatures of Fall roll in, locals declare “it’s gumbo weather.” Truth be told, gumbo is always in season and it always starts with a roux.
Try your hand at this tasty recipe and watch the instructional video for more cooking tips!
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 quarts hot chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Filé powder (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: chopped green onions
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Set sausage aside.
- Cook chicken in reserved drippings in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Set chicken aside.
- Add enough oil to drippings in Dutch oven to measure 1/2 cup. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 20 to 25 minutes, or until roux is chocolate colored.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until tender. Gradually add 2 quarts hot water, and bring mixture to a boil; add chicken, garlic, and next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Add sausage to gumbo; cook 30 minutes. Stir in green onions; cook for 30 more minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Remove gumbo from heat. Sprinkle with filé powder, if desired. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.