Southern Collard Greens Recipe with Bacon Recipe
Southern Collard Greens Recipe with Bacon Recipe – Healthy creamy collard greens recipe does contain bacon, use, and high cream, but it’s very worth it if you’d like to splurge. Be a hearty side dish.
8 to 10 Servings
- 2 large bunches collard greens (about 1 1/2 lb.), center stems removed and leaves cut into ½-inch strips
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ⅓-inch (about 6 ounces) thick-cut smoked bacon
- Unsalted butter (if needed)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch greens in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green and beginning to soften, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Squeeze dry.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 5–7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Drain all but 3 Tbsp. bacon drippings from pot, adding butter if needed to measure 3 Tbsp. Add shallots; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and paprika; stir constantly for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and cream; bring to a boil, whisking often. Stir in greens; reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, until greens are tender and sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer creamed greens to a serving dish; garnish with reserved bacon.